What is Music Arranging
Put simply it’s having the skills and knowledge to craft and edit a piece of music with control and flexibility.
Arranging a piece of music is an exciting and challenging skill. It requires the skills to take an existing piece of music and arrange it for a different performance of a set of musical instruments.
You may have a classical score that needs to be performed by a 5 piece band. The skill of an arranger is to arrange the music in such a way that it keeps the true to the song or piece of music but is able to be performed by the band.
Some other examples of arrangements may be a vocal arrangement of a piece of music or song. An acoustic arrangement of a piece or a full symphony. Perhaps a barbershop arrangement is needed or a percussive arrangement.
Music arrangement is the same as most crafts and skill sets. Its a solid and practised set of techniques and skills that allow you to create, edit and change a complete piece of music to make it do exactly what it is intended to do. The better your command of these techniques, the quicker and easier you can create exactly what you need.
1. You create a brief. A brief is the purpose of the song or track, it may be for an album, an EP, a piece of television or media or to appear with supported graphics. Sometimes briefs are given to you by a producer, another artist or yourself for your own original work.
2. You decide your form, function and flow. These are elements in a song that set the speed, dynamic, emotional movement and structure. These elements are used to determine the length of a song and where the high and low points are.
3. You apply the colour elements.
These are chord inversions, melodies, bass lines, harmonies and instrument parts. These elements work together to create the moods and emotional movement of a song.
ARRANGING LESSONS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Technique and Technical Exercises
- Song Structure
- Form and Function
- Chord Spelling
- Melody Structure and Composition
- Lyric Writing
- Line Length
- Rhyme Schemes
- Writing Perspective
Right now is the perfect time to book in! Speak to our friendly staff or book your spot online for an initial consultation with our highly qualified Songwriting educators.
Arranging Lessons Central Coast, the premier local Studio
Support and Guidance…
Achieve and Master your Own Musical Path…